Announcing Next Year's Florida Tech Engineering and Science Student Design Showcase
Coming - Friday, April 8, 2016
Show hours are from 10 AM - 3PM. The public is invited to attend.
What Is Student Design?
Students participate in a senior project to gain hands-on experience in applying engineering and science principles. Engineering students organize into interdisciplinary teams to design and construct a senior design project as a graduation requirement for their bachelor of science degrees. Science students complete research projects for the same reason. The students must conceive, design and implement the project; write the description; document the requirements; secure corporate and community support for the project; and present the final outcome of their work. The project simulates a real-world work environment in a variety of engineering and science fields. The students apply theory, think creatively and develop practical skills such as teamwork, professionalism and leadership. To see a selection of some of our past projects visit our Student Design Blog.
Why We Do It
- Teaches interdisciplinary teamwork
- Applies learned engineering and science skills
- Shows how engineering, science and business work together
- Creates better engineers ready for work or graduate school
- Encourages future research
- Makes engineering and science "FUN”
Student Design Provides Opportunities to:
- Participate in team goal setting
- Develop a plan to attain goals
- Conduct research
- Develop leadership by leading their own teams
- Understand team interdependencies
- Develop a winning attitude