College of Engineering
F.W. Olin Engineering Complex
On June 3, 1997, the F.W. Olin Foundation of New York City awarded Florida Tech $50 million at that time one of the largest single grants ever made by a foundation to a university in the United States. The foundation earmarked half of this grant to build the F.W. Olin Engineering Complex and the F.W. Olin Life Sciences Building.
The F.W. Olin Engineering Complex has three levels linked by the latest electronic and communications technology which promotes cross-functional learning. A 142-seat multimedia auditorium and 26 specialized research and teaching laboratories support multiple departments within the College of Engineering. A fixture of the F.W. Olin Engineering Complex is the A-frame teaching laboratory, a configuration that promotes cooperative learning by design.
F.W. Olin Engineering Complex—A Teaching Laboratory
Six specialized research and teaching laboratories feature custom designs that support advanced, interactive education and offer students: full interactivity; handicap accessible study and work environments; and full network/Internet access.
About the F.W. Olin Foundation, Inc.
Industrialist Franklin W. Olin established the foundation in 1938 and endowed it with personal lifetime gifts and a substantial part of his estate. Born in 1860, Olin received an engineering degree from Cornell University and later founded what is now known as Olin Corp. The foundation, located in New York City, has specialized in making grants to independent colleges and universities for the total cost of new academic buildings and libraries.
Lawrence W. Milas is the current president of the F. W. Olin Foundation.