What is Biomedical Engineering
Our Mission is to Educate Biomedical Engineers ...
That Make a Difference
As a top biomedical engineering school, the mission of our program is to pursue excellence in biomedical engineering education, research, and innovation by imparting knowledge for improving human health. This will be accomplished by offering innovative educational programs that integrate biological sciences and engineering, and apply engineering tools, methods and practices to solve technical issues in biology and medicine. Graduates of top biomedical engineering school programs are highly-skilled biomedical engineers who understand the ethical, social and economic implications of their work and will be able to fill diverse professional roles in industry, graduate school, and medical professions.
Our graduates will be able to choose the future they want
With a valuable undergraduate or graduate degree from a top biomedical engineering school, students can choose the direction of their future. One direction is to use this degree in a medical career, attending medical school. The engineering background that comes with this degree allows graduates to bring an invaluable prospective to the healing profession. If the decision is to take an engineering direction there are high paying positions in industries that design cutting-edge medical devices offering graduates a chance to improve people’s lives through technology.
Our mission to ensure that our graduates have the knowledge and the skills to choose the future they want.
Program Education Objectives
The program educational objectives for the B.S. in Biomedical Engineering program at Florida Tech are:
- Function in a technically competent manner to address challenges in biomedical engineering.
- Utilize their broad-based interdisciplinary education and effective communication skills to advance in their profession.
- Be prepared for successful advanced study in biomedical engineering or entry to graduate professional programs such as medicine, dentistry, or business.
- Be engaged in the design of biomedical products, processes, and systems within the context of ethical, societal and environmental factors.
The student outcomes for the B.S. in Biomedical Engineering program at Florida Tech are:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
Enrollment and Graduation Data for the B.S. in Biomedical Engineering Program
Annual student enrollment and graduation data for the B.S. in Biomedical Engineering program are provided by Florida Tech’s Office of Institutional Research.